Thursday, April 23, 2009

End of the bi-month

No, this is not a post about THAT kind of bi-month...I'm talking every two months. Just so we're clear.

See, I haven't actually looked at my posts to figure this out, but I'm pretty sure that I tend to post more in certain months, and the reason is clear...the end of every other month seems to always be crazy. I do this volunteer gig...writing a newsletter for our DS parent support group. I've been doing it for about a year now, and I love it. I really do. Those of you who are reading this and recalling all the complaining..no, strike that..talking..I do about this project need to know: I really do love doing this. It keeps me in touch with our group and the friends I've made there. It gives me an outlet. It's allowing me to figure out a few things about publishing documents and design and typesetting that I never knew. It gives me a massive sense of accomplishment when I see the final project in our mailbox and I think "See those 15 - 20 pages of content? I did that!" I really do love it.

But I will admit, sometimes it makes me crazy. The last three weeks of every other month mean I will be in front of the computer most nights. And naptimes. And sometimes stolen moments during the day. Sometimes I get all done and one more thing to add comes over my email and it makes me scream. There are a lot of people and a lot of back and forth involved. It gets to be a bit much.

Mostly what I don't like is it takes me away from other things I want to do, like knitting, scrapbooking, surfing the web...things I do to take myself down a notch and relax. This month is especially crazy because I have a knitting project I'm striving to finish, both because I am gifting it at the end of May, and because I have some other things I want to do. This leads me to my next point.

I am NOT a deadline knitter. I love the current project, but I hate that I have to "GET IT DONE". It will be lovely, and amazing, and I'm so proud of it, but I would really like to shove it in a bag and go do something else right now, and I can't. I want to write a blog regarding what we are doing to green up our lives right now, but instead I'm relieving my stress writing about what is stressing me out. I want to scrapbook a few pictures and ideas that are bouncing around in my head, but I can't concentrate on being creative and getting that done.

It kind of stresses me out, hear me?

My time to myself is limited. Like most mothers, I get very little time to myself. That's okay. It's part of the job. I knew this when I signed up. I do, however, cherish that time and try to use it for things I really really love (see above) instead of wasting it watching TV. During the end of the bi-month, though, when I get "sitting" time, I tend to veg in front of said TV. Not productive. Not interesting. Not stimulating.
So here's to finishing up some projects and getting back to fun that feels less like work and more like fun.

No comments: