Thursday, October 20, 2011

People who need people.

I've been fortunate in my life to have been a member of some truly amazing and beautiful groups. Musical groups, scout groups, 4-H groups. Career groups college groups. I find that a truly amazing group of people will bond tightly and quickly. Connections are made, you may or may not spend time together outside the formal structure of the group. When your time together ends, you are lucky if you continue the connection with one person in that group. If you see others again later in life, you may or may not have much in common with them.

Without fail, I have found this to be true: I am the most myself with my sisters. Some readers will think I come from a large family, and certainly my biological sister is one of my secret keepers. I'm talking now, however, about sisters of my heart: my girl scout sisters.

I've never run into an old friend from scouts and been at a loss for what to talk about. I've never seen one and been afraid to say "do I know you?". I've never seen one and had her not ask me if she knows me. And I've never felt awkward looking for something to say. These girls, these old friends...something sticks in them. Something important. It sticks in me too. It makes me better.

I lost an old friend this week. Cancer. Young. I saw old friends at the funeral home I haven't seen in 20 years. I have spent time with these women when we were young and thought we ruled the world. Camping, helping, serving others. Their hugs were true, I couldn't get enough time with them. I'm so thankful. I'm so thankful.


No comments: