Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Topical

I know that lots of people don't like to talk about their political affiliation. Maybe its because they feel like they don't have to, that not having to tell is part of this type of Democracy we have here in America. But today, I want to talk.

Let me begin by being clear: I'm going to tell you what my political views are. I'm not going to make you guess...I am officially registered as an independant voter, but it is true that in every election I have voted in, my votes lead largely to the Democratic party. The last eight years...well, you might as well paint me as a raving liberal compared to the sweep of conservatism we had going on.

I have two friends who have become very dear to me over the past year. We have much in common, but we differ on some issues too. Specifically, some of their political views differ from mine. But you know what the beautiful thing is? We have had actual DISCUSSIONS about ISSUES. We agree to disagree. I listen to their points, I hope they listen to mine. We are respectful. At the end of the conversation, I always leave thinking "why isn't it all like this?" And because of the discussions we have my respect for them increases daily. They are smart, intelligent, strong and willing to listen. I don't want to convert them, I just want to talk. And we can. I love this.

The past eight years have taught me some valuable lessons, most about communication. The pure hatred I have heard, on occasion, from BOTH sides of the political aisle is shameful. Isn't this a country that was founded on the basic principal of freedom to choose? It sounds like a cliche, but really, honestly! Isn't it okay for us to talk about our ideas, to recognize our differences and still go on with our lives? I think that I will remember the beginning of the 21st century as a very very dark time, politically. It has nothing to do with Bush or his administration. It has to do with the races that were run....evangelicals spreading hatred and vitriol against the other side. Democrats whining and crying and doing NOTHING to make things better. We aren't victims, people. If you don't like it, change it. And you? You? I understand that your beliefs are strong, and I admire you for it. But they don't have to be mine, and you need to understand that.

Regardless of my vote, I do strongly believe that whichever way the votes fall the country will be better off the next four years. Although I am not happy with the campaign McCain has run, his record in congress really does impress me. I have a great deal of respect for him. I like going into an election night knowing that when I wake up in the morning I might be disappointed, but I won't be angry.

2 comments:

purlewe said...

my problem are the one issue people. You know them. The ONE ISSUE they will vote for, no matter if all the rest of the issues are leaning a different way. They only want to know if so-and-so is for or against X and then they vote that way. I try very hard to see it as a bigger picture. Which canidates are in this direction, which others are in this one. THEN I make a decision.

And I cannot stand folks who pick something really arbitrary and vote b'c of it. Something like "I don't like his middle name" or "his father wasn't american" Is that REALLY why you are voting? really? srsly? cos if that is the only thing making you vote please stay home. B'c I thought about this election and I paid attention to the details.. not the superficial stuff.

oh. and I was an independent until I moved to PA where you cannot vote in 1/2 the races unless youa re one party or the other. Which fries my buttons.

Anonymous said...

Well said, as usual!! :-)